Interior design trends change so frequently that it can sometimes be hard to keep track of which trends are in and which are out. This year is no different. Here are some of the things that have been highlighted as “on trend” for 2015 by the online community:
- Big sectionals. This is more of a continuation of a trend than a brand new one, but it appears that large sectionals are here to stay. Modern ones are not only bigger but also deeper, and come in neutral colors. They help promote a relaxed, lounge-type feel in the living room.
- Intense blue. Walls in saturated shades of blue have been around for a few years, but are still having their moment. The deep blue color can be calming and bold at the same time, offering versatility to the living space it’s applied to. For more on colors that will be popular this year, see this post.
- Hexagons. The chevron stripe patterns that were popular last year seem to have been replaced by other geometric shapes, such as hexagons, which add a modern feel to a home.
- Old table, new chairs. The mixing of different interior design styles and periods has always been popular. This year, one mixing trend to watch is the combination of a rustic table with modern chairs.
- Unusual rugs. Rugs that stray from tradition and feature irregular patterns can add a lot of visual interest to a room.
Do keep in mind that combining too many current trends together can lead to a home that quickly begins to look dated once these trends are no longer “of the moment”. A better strategy is to mix classics that will never go out of style with accent pieces that are on trend, resulting in a living space that remains more timeless.