If you’ve been following our blog, you’ve probably come to realize that a property management company does more than collect the rent and assessments. For our company to be effective, our knowledge has to branch out into many different areas, many of which we write about here on a weekly basis.
If you’re starting the search for a property management company, here are just a few of the things you should expect your building manager to be able to handle:
- Understands federal, state, county, and city laws for building code, leasing, and building safety.
- Has been in business long enough to display a proven track record of success.
- Responds to resident inquiries quickly, and deals with issues effectively.
- Has the connections and experience required to negotiate the best contractor rates for everything from maintenance work to snow removal.
- Listens to the input of owners, but also knows how to make decisions on the fly without bothering owners over minor issues.
- Is familiar with the building’s neighborhood, and has done business there before.
- Offers an adequate technological platform for the convenience of owners and residents.
- Is up to date on the latest developments in the industry, be they legal, technological, or financial.
- Has an active involvement in the community and matches your building’s mission.
Notice that we didn’t say the list above is “nice to have”. With so many property management companies to choose from in the marketplace, all of the above should be expected from a property management company that deserves your business.
* * *
Is your property manager coming up short? Are you on the search for a reliable property management company? Get in touch with us today!